The Importance of Daily Meditation
Meditation is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
It has been celebrated by an overwhelmingly wide spectrum of people, from western doctors to the humblest of practitioners. Meditative practices are perhaps the most universal of techniques used in the pursuit of happiness and health, spirituality and success.
Remarkably, it doesn’t matter who you are or what your background is in order to reap the benefits. One of the biggest obstacles people have as resistance to starting is something like this:
“I can’t meditate, there’s no way my mind would slow down enough for that.”
Here’s the good news – you don’t have to make your mind slow down. It may do so on its own, but don’t get caught up worrying about the idea of trying to sit still for a length of time with no thoughts at all in your mind. That isn’t realistic, and doesn’t really happen for most people.
Instead, try approaching the idea of meditation as a momentary retreat; a way of reconnecting to who you truly are so that you can enjoy life more fully and on your own terms.
Also, keep in mind that there are a good many kids who have been labeled as ADD and ADHD who do yoga and meditate. These practices have brought them to a place where they can sit still and concentrate. If they can do it, so can you. 🙂
What are some of the benefits of meditation for you?
- It is, hands down, one of the best ways to de-stress, bringing many physical benefits such as lowering blood pressure.
- In addition to the physical blessings of being less stressed out, you also receive more balance and serenity mentally and emotionally.
- It helps you focus and creates clarity of mind, thus allowing you to be more productive and successful.
- It creates a state of calm and feeling of well-being.
- Meditation can be a significant and transformational healing tool.
- It helps you connect with the bigger energy that you know in your heart (whatever your belief is – God, the Divine, Creator, Universe, Source), and experience yourself as a direct expression of that supreme energy.
- Because you feel happier and more centered, you become even more of a blessing to those you are in relationship with; people enjoy being with you and your brighter energy.
These are only a few of they myriad benefits.
By practicing meditation every single day, you keep returning to a place of peace and harmony, health and happiness. As such, you are far less likely to lose these centered feelings in day to day life, and when you do it is much easier to get back to balance.
You may have known this, or perhaps learned a few things here, but now is a good time to ask yourself this:
Do you meditate every day?
If so, fantastic! You know meditation makes you feel good and helps you navigate the layers of life in a more skillful and enjoyable way. That’s wonderful.
If not, no worries. You can start small. 5 minutes a day is a good, non-intimidating goal. You might find yourself naturally wanting to stay longer, and you will, at some point, want to increase your daily meditation to 15 minutes.
It is important to remember not to be rigid with your practice. Stay devoted, yes, meditate every day, but if some days are longer and some shorter, it’s okay.
The important thing is that you connect with your breath and your higher self every single day. Even if just for a few moments.
If you’d like some help, I have many meditations available to you. It’s sometimes helpful to have guidance in your meditation practice, especially when you’re starting out.
One excellent resource is my Meditation Art and Audio Set, which gives you beautiful meditations to print out and remind yourself to center in, as well as short audio meditations where my voice guides you into a meditative state.
My blog is also filled with meditations. Here are a few favorites:
Blessings to you and your practice!
***Do you meditate? If so, I invite you to share about your own practice in a comment below. What benefits do you notice the most? What is your favorite part of meditation?